Partial Knee Replacement
A Partial Knee Replacement is a surgery to replace only one part of a damaged knee. It can replace either the inside (medial) part, the outside (lateral) part, or the kneecap part of the knee.
Partial knee replacement surgery removes damaged tissue and bone in the knee joint. It is done when Arthritis is present in only part of the knee. The areas are replaced with an artificial implant, called a Prosthetic. The rest of your knee is preserved. Partial knee replacements are most often done with smaller incisions, so there is less recovery time.
TYPES OF PARTIAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
The knee joint is divided into 3 compartments:
- Medial tibio-femoral (inner half of knee)
- Lateral tibio-femoral (outer half of knee)
- Patello-femoral (front of the knee)
When is Partial Knee Replacement done?
Partial knee replacement is done when only a single joint compartment is affected by the loss of cartilage/ arthritis. Most commonly seen in a medial tibio-femoral compartment(inner half of knee).
Partial Knee Pain: Symptoms, Investigations & Next steps
Partial knee pain symptoms:
- Pain restricted to only 1 compartment of the knee joint.
- Difficulty in walking, climbing stairs.
- Limp while walking.
“Symptoms get relieved on taking rest”
Investigations after partial knee replacement:
- X-ray – to determine the stage of arthritis, exact involvement of knee compartments, bone overgrowth, bone defect.
- MRI Scan – to further quantify the problem- cartilage defect, arthritis, or damage to other joint structures such as ACL/PCL/meniscus.
One after partial knee replacement is done patient needs immediate attention. Consult an orthopedic surgeon for a physical exam.
Partial Total Knee Replacement should not be Done if:
- Young- High activity patients, heavy labourers
- Inflammatory Arthritis- like rheumatoid arthritis
- Varus deformity> 10 degrees; valgus deformity> 5 degrees- Which means an advanced stage of arthritis- total knee replacement would be ideal in such cases.
Advantages of Partial Knee Replacement Over Total Knee Replacement
- Smaller incision(skin cut)- less post-operative pain- reduced hospital stay.
- Less blood loss, less expensive.
- Faster rehabilitation and return to normal life.
When can the patient return to activity after Partial knee replacement surgery?
Rehab starts immediately after surgery. Can start to walk with full weight on the operated leg immediately after surgery. Full range of movements is gained by the end of 1-2 months after surgery- varying on the range of movements and muscle strength of the patient before surgery.
Partial Knee Replacement Surgery:
The Partial knee replacement surgery can be an alternative to a total knee replacement for people suffering from osteoarthritis in the knee. This procedure can be performed when the damage is limited to a specific area in the knee. When a partial knee replacement is performed the only damaged portion of the cartilage of the knee is replaced by prosthesis.
Knee Pain Treatment without Surgery
The knee is the most likely joint to suffer from arthritis and it could have a significant impact on your daily life. Things you used to do quickly can become difficult and cause significant discomfort. Although knee replacement in Atlanta is a possibility to address this issue but it’s one that people prefer not to as much as they can. If you’re suffering from problems due to the knee joint and would prefer to not undergo surgery, take a look at these five alternatives.
- Lifestyle Modification
- Exercise and Physical Therapy
- Anti-Inflammatory Medications
- PRP Therapy
Partial Knee Replacement Surgery Cost in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad:
The average Cost of Partial knee replacement surgery in Hyderabad, India ranges from 1,00,000/- to 5,00,000/–.
Partial Knee Replacement Recovery Time:
The people who undergo a partial knee replacement heal faster than those who receive complete knee replacement. Many patients are able to walk with no cane or walking walker within three to four weeks following surgery. And also Physical therapy is required up to 3 months.